Wednesday, May 17, 2017

EUROTRIP 2016 - Part 1: Trogir, a historic town and harbour on the Adriatic coast



Trogir - a small little city with a harbour,
Lying there next to the airport,
tightly in the armpit of the city called Split...

Trogir was our choice for a weekend, since I flew directly to Split Airport (the airport is really close to Trogir, a smaller city next to Split). My parents and sister Sabina were waiting for me there when I arrived. It meant that I did not have to relay on the airport-city buses and their timetables at all this time. However, if you need them, they are ok to use. But be prepared that the bus station in Split is small and over-crowded and waiting in hot climate can be rather exhausting...!

We decided to stay at Trogir for few days just to see one additional little city with rich history. The old town of Trogir has been included in the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites for its Venetian architecture. It is also the best-preserved Romanesque-Gothic complex not only in the Adriatic, but in all of Central Europe. The Fortress Kamerlengo, The Duke's Palace and city gates and walls are just few of the unique places worth seeing.


Trogir has a really cute little old town, but the good beaches are not close. You usually have to take a taxi-boat to them and avoid driving a car (it is really time consuming to drive between old town and this little island because there is so much traffick). The beaches were clean but the water was not as clear as it usually is in Adriatic sea. I think that the construction work of the huge harbour for yachts (there are two yacht marinas) is mixing the water so much at some points and that's why the beautiful beaches are the ones far away. It was good place to see, great if you need a place for short time and close to the airport.

I loved the views seen from the Fortress, especially during the sunset. However, the food and other activities in Trogir can be experienced also in other cities. I have travelled around the former Yugoslavia every year starting from the year 1997 (I was 6 years old, it was my first visit to this area after we fled the war. I was born in former Yugoslavia in 1991) and have seen so many places that have even more to offer. That is why I would not stay there longer than 1 to 2 days personally. Of course, Trogir is cheaper than Split and can serve as a great over-night spot very well for those who like to rent a car and drive around to be able to explore more. That is also what we did with our car (yes we aways drive our car from our home in Finland to southern home and back to the North again). However, my sister Sabina was a bit sick so she had to stay in bed while my parents and I buzzed around. As soon as Sabina was feeling well enough to continue our travels, we headed towards amazing National Park UNA and city of Bihac (both in Bosnia-Heregovina).

- Herminica

No comments:

Post a Comment